Windows Server 2012:  How do you setup Software OS RAID 1?

Its not clear on how to do this in 2012

Do you just run Disk Management, convert the disks to dynamic, then right click on the disk partion System Reserved and select Add Mirror, and then right click on the second partion, (C:) and add select Add mirror for that one?

This is on a Windows 2012 system NOT windows 2008.  I see lots of people pointing people to windows 2008 kb's and docs and unless Microsoft has cleared these for 2012, they really have no bearing...

November 17th, 2014 7:05pm

You can still use dynamic disks in 2012 or take advantage of the new storage spaces feature and set up fault tolerant virtual disks.  
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 17th, 2014 11:03pm

With Dynamic disks--How?  I can't find anything written for 2012 as to how to do this.  Just go into disk manager?   What about the system reserverd--does this need to be mirrored as well?  What about MBR's on the fault tolerant disk...will the OS be able to find it and boot to it on failure of 0:?
November 17th, 2014 11:21pm

Use disk manager in computer management snap-in: it did not change since 2008 so you all articles describing procedure on 2008 server er still valid in 2012 version. I'm not sure if the boot drive can mirrored, but give
November 18th, 2014 7:10am

How do I mirror the System Reserved?  It won't let me.  The system reserved has the MBR to actually boot the system up I believe.
  • Edited by ShoppingCart Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:16 AM
November 24th, 2014 11:52pm

you can't mirror it. software raid is handled by the OS so you can't use it for partition containig boot record
November 26th, 2014 8:09am

You can mirror it.

The error: All disks holding
extents for a given volume must have the same sector size, and the sector size
must be valid. 

This problem is due to the fact the disk drive technology is different. This is a 2012 problem that didn't exist in 2008.

November 26th, 2014 3:49pm

Hi,

As you said we will need to manually edit BCD for a mirror system when we need to boot into the second hard disk.

Here is a thread I replied earlier:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/48fdbff9-de54-4e82-972f-7cfd8385b7b4/windows-server-2012-software-raid1-of-system-volume?forum=winserver8gen

Please see if it could help. 

November 28th, 2014 6:29am

Shaon Shan I have no idea what you are talking about an I'm not following your post here or in the other thread either????  Are you saying the mirror that Microsoft holds out via the disk manager is "not authentic" and there are "additional and hidden" steps that have to be performed beyond the obvious GUI?
December 1st, 2014 4:35pm

Hi all,

I spend some time on creating a mirrored Windows 2012 system and here is the result.

@codeaholic: thank you for the question which made me redo the test after 1 year. At the time I post in previous thread, I noticed that some customers cannot boot into the mirrored system so I tried to manually add BCD entries to recreate the boot-up information. 

This time I created a virtual machine in Hyper-V and installed Windows 2012. Added a new hard disk and create mirror for both System Reserved drive and Drive C. Here is the picture 1:

After resynching, I reboot the computer and I can see 2 boot-up entries now:

And I tried to boot into "secondary plex" and it could be boot-up just fine. 

So the steps should still be the same - we just need to add mirror in Windows 2012 - if any issue occurs which related to BCD, you can still refer to my previous thread to manually edit with BCDedit. 

December 3rd, 2014 6:27am

Ok, so you are saying the key is I need to see the secondary plex "option" during bootup...
Everything I've read related to the BCDedit I thought was related to GPT drives and MBR drives.
December 3rd, 2014 3:35pm

Hi,

In my test I simple right click on Disk 0 and choose Add Mirror for both System Reserved and Drive C. After syncing it is working like I mentioned - no need to add BCD entries and "Windows Server 2012 - secondary plex" is already there. 

December 8th, 2014 10:01am

Ok thanks.
December 8th, 2014 4:10pm

Oh no, I deleted the secondary plex because I thought it was a duplicate installation. Now I need to figure out how to undo that, if I revert to before I removed it, will it still be in place or will I need to start from scratch to redo the RAID?

Please help!

July 23rd, 2015 10:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics